Petra Construction Corporation is an award-winning building construction firm based in North Haven, CT. Established in 1953, Petra has substantial experience and has successfully completed projects in the healthcare, commercial, education, telecommunications, religious, museum and custom residential markets. Visit our website at www.petraconstruction.com for examples of our work.
Using established standards and procedures, the Estimator prepares or assists in the preparation of conceptual, bid, negotiated project and change order estimates. The Estimator prepares phasing lists, including budget amounts, and may be requested to purchase subcontracts and major materials packages. The Estimator may also perform project management tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Bid and Negotiated Project Estimates
- Set up estimate format, issue Bid Information Request Form, update Bid/Proposal Due Date Schedule.
- Create trade and subcontractor lists.
- Create and issue Invitation to Bid or Invitation to Submit Pricing Proposal.
- Develop scope of work.
- Issue Requests for Information.
- Complete quantity take-offs.
- Price labor and materials to be furnished by Petra.
- Evaluate subcontractor bids or proposals.
- Prepare final estimate.
- Review estimate with upper management to determine final bid strategy.
- Maintain files on all current estimates.
- Review scope of work with client.
- Prepare conceptual estimate.
- Review estimate and develop fee percentage with upper management.
- Present and work to sell the project to the client.
In accordance with Company procedures, provide a detailed and informed hand-off of the project to Project Management staff.
- Cultivate and build relationships with subcontractors.
- Consistently update and maintain subcontractor file information.
- Participate as required in the subcontractor qualification process.
Production Cost Analysis
- Utilizing current CSI division classifications, enter data to produce an updated Production Cost Analysis of items of work performed by Company field personnel.
Attend project walk-throughs as required.
- Attend and participate in periodic project management meetings as estimating schedule allows.
- Attend and participate in weekly department meetings.
- Minimum of 10 years' of construction industry and/or architectural millwork experience with experience in/exposure to the estimating function.
- Bachelor's degree preferred; Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics or Construction Science major preferred.
- Knowledge of cost estimating, contract documents, construction delivery methods, construction means and methods, and construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents including bid invitations, plans, specifications and standard industry forms.
- Accurate and thorough work product.
- Strong organization skills and ability to meet all deadlines.
- Ability to maintain work records per Company and/or department standards.
- Conduct oneself professionally and communicate effectively.
- Advanced software capabilities using MS Excel, Outlook, Word and construction industry-specific programs.
- Must successfully pass a post-offer physical exam, drug screen and background check.
Benefits offered include health, dental and vision insurance, health savings account contribution, life and disability insurance, 401(k) Plan, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, paid holidays and educational assistance.
No relocation assistance available.
Petra Construction Corporation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Persons are recruited, hired, assigned and promoted without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.