Petra Construction Corporation is an award-winning building construction firm based in North Haven, CT. Established in 1953, Petra has substantial experience and has successfully completed projects in the biotechnology, corporate, education, healthcare, religious, specialized and custom residential markets. Visit our website at www.petraconstruction.com for examples of our work.
Using advanced knowledge, experience and training, the Safety and Health Specialist is primarily responsible for the employee education, maintenance and enforcement of the company’s safety and health program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Identifying and evaluating unsafe conditions and practices;
- Developing safety control designs, methods, procedures and programs;
- Implementing and advising others on safety controls and safety control programs and evaluating their effectiveness;
- Performing weekly jobsite field inspections and issuing field reports;
- Providing safety training for field and office staff;
- Conducting hazard analyses;
- Assessing compliance with applicable local, state and Federal laws and regulations pertaining to safety;
- Writing Site-Specific Safety Plans and EHS policies and procedures;
- Enforcing COVID-19 safety protocols;
- Evaluating machine guarding and inspecting fall protection equipment;
- Emergency preparedness evaluation, planning and training;
- Accident investigation/Root Cause Analysis;
- Recordkeeping (OSHA, incidents, inspections, etc.);
- Suspending unsafe activities and disciplining non-compliant workers;
- Performing ergonomic evaluations;
- Organizing and conducting Petra's Quarterly Safety Meetings;
- Assisting with company marketing efforts as needed, including client interviews and industry safety award submissions.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management or related field;
- At least ten (10) years' experience working as a construction safety professional;
- Experience conducting construction site field safety inspections;
- Familiarity using industry-standard personal protection and fall protection equipment;
- OSHA 500 Certification;
- Construction Safety Professional Certification;
- CPR, First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens Certification;
- Intermediate/advanced software skills, including MS Word, Outlook and Excel, and the ability to use/learn industry-specific software, e.g. Procore;
- CHST Certification is a plus;
- HAZWOPER and LRRP certifications are a plus.
Benefits offered include health, dental and vision insurance, health savings account contributions, life and disability insurance, 401(k) Plan, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, paid holidays and educational assistance. A computer, mobile phone and company vehicle will be provided for business use.
CT residence strongly preferred; no relocation assistance available.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Persons are recruited, hired, assigned and promoted without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.