Petra Construction Corporation is an award-winning building construction firm based in North Haven, CT. Established in 1953, Petra has substantial experience and has successfully completed projects in the biotechnology, corporate, education, healthcare, religious, specialized and custom residential markets. Visit our website at www.petraconstruction.com for examples of our work.
Using various woodworking tools, a Cabinetmaker in Petra's Architectural Woodworking Shop cuts, shapes, and builds items from wood or other materials to design specifications. This Cabinetmaker will also program, operate and maintain the Computer Numerical Control machine (CNC).
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Produce or assemble components of articles, such as cabinets, high-grade furniture, store fixtures and office equipment;
- Verify dimensions or check the quality or fit of pieces to ensure adherence to specifications;
- Set up or operate machines, including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoners, molders, or shapers, to cut, mold, or shape wood stock or wood substitutes;
- Measure and mark dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock prior to cutting, following blueprints, to ensure a tight fit and quality product;
- Reinforce joints with nails or other fasteners to prepare articles for finishing;
- Attach parts or subassemblies together to form completed units, using glue, dowels, nails, screws, or clamps;
- Plan the methods or operations for shaping or assembling parts, based on blueprints, drawings, diagrams, or oral or written instructions;
- Cut timber to the right size and shape and trim parts of joints to ensure a snug fit, using hand tools, such as planes, chisels, or wood files;
- Match materials for color, grain, or texture, giving attention to knots or other features of the wood;
- Trim, sand, or scrape surfaces or joints to prepare articles for finishing;
- Bore holes for insertion of screws or dowels, by hand or using boring machines;
- Perform final touch-ups with sandpaper or steel wool;
- Install hardware, such as hinges, handles, catches, or drawer pulls, using hand tools;
- Repair or alter wooden furniture, cabinetry, fixtures, paneling, or other pieces;
- Apply Masonite, Formica, or vinyl surfacing materials;
- Create cut lists for CNC;
- Program parts for CNC in AlphaCam;
- Converting AutoCAD shop drawings into Alphacam drawings;
- Use forklift to pull material for CNC;
- Run parts on CNC;
- Program and create G-code for a nested base CNC router;
- Operate and run the CNC router (Weeke);
- Drill parts on horizontal boring machine;
- Mark all parts for designated edging;
- Mark all parts to correspond with shop drawings (elevation, cabinet number);
- Maintain CNC machine and tooling;
- Other fabrication tasks as required;
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Minimum Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Minimum Experience: Ten years of experience working as a carpenter in a millwork shop; five years’ experience in the programming, operation and maintenance of a CNC machine.
Clear understanding of the millwork fabrication process and methods;
Experience with Alphacam;
Cabinet Vision knowledge a plus;
Open to participating in training to improve own skills;
Willingness and ability to train others to operate the CNC router.
Benefits offered include health, dental and vision insurance, health savings account contributions, life and disability insurance, 401(k) Plan, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, paid holidays and educational assistance.
CT residence strongly preferred; no relocation assistance available.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Persons are recruited, hired, assigned and promoted without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.